Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Simple Summer Suppers, Part 3 of 10 (Is this even cooking?)

First off, I've set an timeline for this series. One weekly through the end of August. If I don't make it, hey - it'll feel like Summer here in Florida till at least October!

Tonight's menu was so simple I'm not sure I can even call it cooking. But you know what? It was delicious, and it was ~90% fresh ingredients. Gotta love that!



  • Caesar chicken
    • Last night, I took 2 chicken breasts and put them in Glad-ware, then covered them in Publix Lite Caesar dressing.
    • When I got home (much later than usual) tonight, I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees.
    • I tossed the chicken breasts into a shallow baking pan, popped them in the oven for about 25 minutes.
    • The hubben raved: "I love this lemon glaze you put on the chicken." Maybe I wouldn't have told, but I planned to post about it anyway!
  • Sweet corn & orange pepper
    • I had 2 left over ears of corn that we'd grilled Sunday night. I sliced the corn off the cobs.
    • I  had 1/3 an orange pepper leftover from grilled veggie combo on Sunday night. I'd already diced this up.
    • I combined these in a Glad-ware and microwaved for ~3 minutes.
    • Yes, I said MICROWAVED, and I didn't use any butter or salt or ANYTHING!
  • Mom's "Ratatouille"
    • Of course, the simplest cooking is the cooking someone else  does.
    • Yesterday, my mom sent home a yummy dish she makes in the summers. It's close enough to ratatouille, so I'll call it that.
    • She chops up mostly eggplant, some bell peppers, some onions, some tomatoes. She tops it all with mozzarella & parmesan, and she bakes it. I don't know the temp or time. Sorry!
    • All I had to do was microwave it tonight!
The little one sat & played happily while mommy "cooked" and did some dishes. Then she refused to eat anything but the chicken. Oh, and about 6 strawberries! :)

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, I've never tried a Ratatouille...I need to! And I haven't tried baking chicken - isn't that nuts?! I'm 33 and never baked chicken breasts. I do have to say in my defense that I do not use chicken breasts very often.

    LOVE the new colors!

    ReplyDelete